Sunday, February 8, 2009

We're Engaged!!

Hi this is Melanie....and Sean! We just got engaged on January 23rd! I was completely shocked! Sean did a good job of surprising me. We had never actually talked about getting married so it was a big surprise. Sean told me we were going downtown to watch the Joseph Smith movie with Joe and Aprille. We had been wanting to do that for awhile. Their ward got tickets and everyone was dressing up and we were tagging along....but it was all a lie! I had bought the ring exactly a month before. So I just kept it in my closet so no one would know about it. I had picked the date I wanted to propose then. I don't know why January 23rd seemed like a good idea but it is what I chose. I made reservations two weeks in advance for the dinner. I wouldn't tell Melanie where we were going. When Sean turned into the Joseph Smith Memorial Building parking I knew he was taking me to the Roof. I thought he might have told me to dress up for the movie just so we could look nice for dinner...but I was not thinking anything else. We went to the Roof and ate dinner and during dessert at 6:50 her dad walked in with the video camera and I knew it was time to pop the question. He didn't even seem nervous during dinner at all! We had the perfect table right in front of the temple. It was so beautiful! It was the second most scary thing I had ever done. The first being asking her dad if I could ask her. When I saw that her dad was in place to record I asked Melanie if she was wearing the watch I had given her for Christmas. I bought it for the purpose of using it in this moment. She said no, and then I asked if she knew why I had given that to her. She of course said no. He told me he gave me the watch for a special reason and I was trying so hard to figure out what it could possibly be. I was trying to think what it looked like....maybe there was something on it....I couldn't figure it outI then said that I bought the watch for time, then I reached my hand in my pocket, stood up, got on my knee with the ring and said, "I got this for time and all eternity." I was so surprised I could not even say anything. I just sat there staring at Sean and the ring. Seriously, I didn't even say a word. I just couldn't believe it! She was so shocked! She didn't even say anything for the longest time. I didn't know what to do or how to react to her reaction. Finally he asked if he could put the ring on me and I said yeah. I saw a flash and turned and saw Sean's dad across the room. A minute later I saw my dad with a video camera. Everyone knew about this except me! I had absolutely NO idea he was proposing....and that he had a ring for so long! Not everyone knew. Only our parents and my sister Aprille knew about it. The ring is beautiful! I love it! Sean did such a good job picking one for me! We went back to Sean's house and my family came over. We told everyone and celebrated with root beer floats! We're getting married!! I'm so excited! Best day ever!!

I put a little video together that you can watch. It's a little shaky but it's still fun!

8 comments:

  1. I loved reading the story! I am so happy for you Melanie! You are such a doll!!!! Congrats!! Send me your email address so I can invite you to our blog. Seattle has one too. boogsandsnooks@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO cute!! Congrats.. you guys look great together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Melanie! What a fun story! I work as a professional wedding planner, so let me know if you have any questions with your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, i love your guts we were so excited when sean got home because we knew you two were going to get married! you are so cute together and can't wait till June 6th!
    Don't give in and show sean the dress, even if he begs! just hit him! thats what i would do! anywho see you in like 3 miutes!
    ~*Lexi*~

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello!!! congratulations melanie and sean!!!! bueno el te va a tener que ayudar con la traduccion!!!:)..... me alegro muchisimo por ustedes.... son realmente una bella pareja y se que el Padre Celestial los va a bendecir muchisimo!!!!.... Pike que felicidad el poder ver ese momento en que le demuestras tu gran amor a Melanie!!!!!! Los felicito!!!!!
    Desde Salta La Linda, Argentina.-

    Daniela Luna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just for the record, had Sean not proposed to Melanie he would have had a lot of explaining to do to the rest of his family because we love Melanie ALMOST as much as Sean does. We are looking forward to uniting the Brown & Pike families!

    Congratulations Melanie & Sean!!! We are all looking forward to the BIG day!

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Melanie and Sean! Sean you are such a lucky man to marry into this wonderful family!! We wish you a future full of love and happiness!
    Love,
    Tammy and George McGowan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Melanie. It's hard to believe that you're all grown up! Wish we could be there. Sean is a lucky guy.

    Love,
    Linda and Gary Black

    ReplyDelete

Keeten Wayne

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Mckenzie Kathryn

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sean & Melanie

Daisypath Anniversary tickers